Saturday, April 25, 2009

First Dr.'s Visit and First Shots

I'm slow writing about it but I had a significant moment the first time we took Dawson to the Doctor. It was his two week check up and we were sitting in the waiting room when a couple with a newborn came through the front door complete with car seat and all the newborn's gear. When I saw them come through the door, I was happy for them. This may not seem like a big deal but for years, when I saw a couple with a baby my heart hurt with sadness. But sitting there with Dawson and Erin, I realized I finally had a contentment my heart had been missing for a long time.

Yesterday was Dawson's 2 month check up and his first round of shots. He's completely healthy and weighing in at 12 full pounds, which explains the fat rolls developing. The shots themselves weren't as traumatic as I thought they'd be. The nurses were lighting quick and Dawson cried for only about 30 seconds or so. We gave him some food and he passed out in his car seat for the next few hours. When he woke up at around 3 however, the baby Tylenol had worn off and he was in a lot of pain, he'd cry out every time he moved his legs. We were able to get him to go back to sleep and a couple hours later, he woke up and was just fine.

Dawson is a generally happy baby, he cries only when there's something obviously wrong. Even when he feels the pain of shots, it doesn't take long for him to go back to what I call "happy baby" mode. He's tough and happy, that's a good combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment