Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Fear

Although Erin tells me she's seen Dawson scared a few other times, two mornings ago was the first time I'd personally seen Dawson frightened. It wasn't anything major but it was the first time I'd been able to observe the emotion of fear crossing my son's face.

I was trying to get laundry done while Erin was sleeping but it's hard to transfer loads from the washer to the dryer with a baby occupying one of your arms. So I set Dawson down in a basket full of burp cloths and bibs straight out of the dryer. That sight was so cute that I started laughing, which made Dawson smile while made me laugh even more.

As Dawson snuggled in the basket of warm laundry, I swung the dryer door closed just above his head, causing him to startle with the sound. When I started the dryer however, was when I saw fear on his little face. The sound of the dryer starting must've made Dawson think the world was ending. His face held a mixture of terror and bewilderment, which was an interesting face to look at.

True to baby form however, it only lasted a couple seconds. Dawson soon reverted back to his trusting baby self and smile some more as I carried him upstairs in a basket full of laundry.

1 comment: